Its really easy to make these savoury, wheat free flapjacks which are excellent snacks or a great alternative to sandwiches for an on the go lunch. They are rich in beta carotene an antioxidant that promotes skin health, and are a good source of protein and fibre, which help sustain energy levels. The seeds and eggs provide polyunsaturated oils, which are important for good hormone regulation.
2 eggs, beaten
50g butter, melted
150g porridge oats
150g cheddar cheese, grated
1 large carrot, small sweet potato or courgette peeled and grated
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (or mix of pumpkin / sesame / sunflower/ flaxseeds)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C / 350˚F / gas mark 4.
- Place a piece of baking parchment into a baking tray (approx. 22cm square).
- Put the oats into a mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter, grated cheese, seeds, beaten eggs and grated carrot to the oat mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and gently flatten using the back of a spoon.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool before slicing.